
Today I finished my second half marathon. My best one, in fact. But that's beside the point. As I was running my race I wondered "Why do I do this? Why do I go throught the muscle cramps, the blisters, and the sick feeling at mile ten?" The more I thought about it, the more I realized that running a race was like being a Christian.
As Christians, we have ups and downs. There are many bumps and pains along the way, living a Christian life is not even close to painless. As we go through life, hard times happen and we get lost, we stumble and sometimes we even quit. We must remember that even though there is pain and finishing strong seem impossible, we must not quit because there is a reward waiting for us, if we run our race for Him. There is always a reward, for every finisher, no matter what age, gender, or race. We must train for the day when we cross the finish line, for the King is waiting for us. No matter what race I run, the best prize will be at the end of this life, when I get to go to the next. The run is long, but it is so worth it.
Philippians 4:10-13
10 How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.