After getting settled in our new home for a few days, we were given a tour of all six stories. We were also warned about the elevators, called "evil" by the previous teams... and for good reason (it closes even if a person is between the doors)! Our group especially liked the roof, on an "unsmoggy" day you can see for miles! It is especially beautiful at night looking at the city of Luoyang. We cleaned ourselves up and ate lunch (the food at MBHOH is way better than cafeteria food in the U.S.) before going on our own to visit the children on the many floors (at the time there were kids only on the 3rd and 4th floors but as we were leaving a few children were moved up to the 5th) of Maria's Big House (click here to learn about the floor plans).
It was my little buddy, Roger's, room! I was playing with a few little girls on a mat in one of the corners, when an ayi laid Roger on the mat right next to us. He just laid there for a few minutes before I decided to pick him up and play with him. At first it is quite hard to pick up a child with cerebral palsy, but I got the hang of it. He basically is a 4-year old baby, he cannot lift his legs and arms very well or pick up his head. I set him on my lap and steadied him, he loved it! When the ayis came to give the other little girls a bath and a nap, I spent some alone time with Roger. I figured out how to pick him up and carry him, I showed him the paintings of the animals on the walls (he especially liked the monkeys... and the monkey sounds I made), his laughter and smiles said it all! He would lay his head on my shoulder as I walked around the room and enjoyed the basketball stickers (he's a little too manly for butterfly ones...) that I let him have. The ayis also enjoyed them... and put them on all of the babies foreheads! He also enjoyed playing "airplane" where I set him on my shins and raised my legs up in the air moving them back and forth. He especially enjoyed "turbulence"! It was awesome to see him so happy, his little smile shone like a light! After three or four hours, I had to leave him to go eat dinner but I told him that I would be sure and come back tomorrow!